Proposed NY carbon tax could cost your family $21,000 over 10 years. Help fight it. Click here
10 Boiler Maintenance Tips For Your Home This Winter
Here in New York State, your boiler gets a workout in the winter. Make sure it’s ready to handle the job so that it doesn’t break down, leading to a cold home and costly repairs.
We have 10 tips for you so you can take good care of your boiler.
- Turn the boiler on. You may think this is a joke. But we get calls for service when the culprit is that the boiler isn’t switched on. So do this now.
- Do a boiler test run. Operate your boiler before you need to use it regularly and pay attention for any problems. If you notice any, contact Bottini Fuel for a service call.
- Read your boiler’s owner’s manual. Before you attempt anything with your boiler, know the ins and outs of it. Yeah, it’s not as fun as checking out the latest screaming-lady-and-snarky-cat meme, but it’s much more informative. Knowing how your boiler operates will help you know what to look for and what to do (and not to do).
- Get your annual boiler tune-up. While there are things you can do yourself, a tune-up done by the professionals at Bottini Fuels is needed to make sure your boiler is operating at its best efficiency. You may also need regular professional maintenance to keep your boiler’s warranty in effect.
- Check your radiators. Are there cold spots on your radiators? The likely reason is that air is trapped in the system. Purge the air by bleeding the radiators. Carefully follow the directions in your boiler’s owner’s manual.
- Insulate your condensate pipe. If your condensate pipe freezes, it will block condensation from leaving the boiler. Insulating the condensate pipe should prevent this from happening.
- Dealing with a frozen condensate pipe. Oops. You didn’t follow Tip #5 soon enough and your condensate pipe froze. If you can safely access your condensate pipe, thaw the ice inside the pipe with a hot water bottle or microwaveable heat pack. You can also pour warm or hot (NOT BOILING) water on the pipe near the end where it’s frozen.
- Monitor the pressure. A drop in pressure can make your boiler stop working. The most common cause of a loss of pressure is leaks, but that may not be the problem. Dealing with leaks can be dangerous, so leave it to a professional at Bottini Fuel.
- Need repairs? Don’t delay in contacting Bottini Fuel. If your boiler develops problems or breaks down, don’t wait. The problem could get worse or your home could get dangerously cold. Get in touch with Bottini Fuel. We offer 24/7 emergency service, 365 days a year.
- Consider upgrading. While regular maintenance can help prolong the life of your boiler, it will eventually need to be replaced. Start looking into a new boiler now, so you can choose the right one for your home. It will not only be more reliable, but more energy-efficient, which will save on heating bills. Bottini Fuel has top-quality boilers from leading manufacturers, and can help you find the best one that meets your home’s heating needs. And when you do replace your boiler, sign up for a Bottini Fuel service plan to help protect your investment.
Your boiler is the most important piece of equipment in your home. Trust the professionals at Bottini Fuel to take good care of it!
Important update about our service during the Coronavirus outbreak. Click here