Proposed NY carbon tax could cost your family $21,000 over 10 years. Help fight it. Click here
Ductless Air Conditioner and Heat Pump Basics
Chances are you’ve seen a ductless air conditioner or ductless A/C heat pump in a restaurant, bar, or store somewhere – they’re the wide cooling units that mount to walls rather than windows. But how much do you know about these high-efficiency wonders?
Here are some facts to get you up to speed on ductless cooling systems:
- A ductless (or “ductless mini-split”) system has two parts – an air handler (the indoor unit) and a condenser (the outdoor unit). A single condenser can operate up to four air handlers, creating an efficient zone cooling system in your home.
- The key advantage of a mini-split system is that it doesn’t need ductwork. This means:
- It can be installed quickly and at a lower cost than a central A/C unit;
- It can go just about anywhere in your house, including room additions to converted attics and basements;
- Your air quality will improve, since there are no ducts in which harmful mold and other microorganisms can breed; and
- You won’t lose energy through leaky ducts (a recent study showed that about 16 percent of your cool air can be lost this way).
- Another key mini-split advantage is flexibility: not only can you vary the size of air handlers for each room, but you can also use each unit’s thermostat to control the energy spent in each cooling zone.
- Unlike window A/C units, a mini-split won’t block your view; all that mini-split system installation requires is a 3-inch hole in your exterior wall to connect the air handler to the condenser.
- Mini-split systems are extremely efficient, with some achieving SEER ratings ranging well into the 20s (most are in the 18-20 range – a big step up from 14-15 SEER window units).
- Mini-split systems are extremely quiet – much quieter than a window air conditioner.
- The temperature in a mini-split system is set and changed via remote control.
Be ready – an A/C installation rush is coming! Once COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, we expect a surge in installations that could back us up for weeks. If you are ready to upgrade to a ductless system, lock in an appointment time with a deposit so you’ll be early on the list. Contact Bottini today for a FREE, no-obligation estimate on a cooling system installation in the Hudson Valley.
Please note: At Bottini Fuel, your safety and comfort are always our priority. Please see our COVID-19 Service Update Page to learn more about how we are working to keep your family and our crews safe and your home cooling and heating systems working through this challenging time.
Important update about our service during the Coronavirus outbreak. Click here