Proposed NY carbon tax could cost your family $21,000 over 10 years. Help fight it. Click here
Choosing a Propane Patio Heater
So far, Mother Nature has been pretty easy on us this fall here in New York – many of us have been treated to an extended outdoor entertainment season. But if you want that season to continue a bit longer, you’re likely to need an assist a propane patio heater. The question is, how do you choose one?
Here are five things you will have to take into account when shopping for a propane patio heater:
- Power and throw – Before you shop for a patio heater, measure the diameter of the space you want to heat. In general, more power means a longer “throw” of heat – but some designs are particularly good at radiating heat from a distance. Make sure you have enough coverage to keep your chosen area warm and comfortable.
- Mounting type – Propane patio heaters can wall-mounted, tabletop or freestanding. A typical tabletop heater will stand about four feet high; a freestanding heater can be twice that tall. Besides the obvious difference in height, one key difference between a tabletop and a freestanding heater is that freestanding units often use a refillable or replaceable cylinder, while tabletop models usually use a disposable propane canister.
- Safety features – Most of today’s tabletop and freestanding patio heaters are equipped with an anti-tip feature, which automatically shuts off the heater if it is push off kilter. Other safety features to look for include an oxygen depletion sensor (ODS) and an overfill protection device (OPD).
- Efficiency – Look for a propane patio heater’s AFUE (annual fuel utilization efficiency) rating; a higher AFUE rating will mean lower bills for you.
- Aesthetics – Many styles of patio heater are available – from modern stainless models to classic copper and enamel painted options. Other considerations include the design or shape of the unit.
Nothing heats like propane – even outdoors! If you need propane refills for your propane patio heater, we can help. Contact us today for details!
Important update about our service during the Coronavirus outbreak. Click here