Proposed NY carbon tax could cost your family $21,000 over 10 years. Help fight it. Click here
Does propane freeze?
When it comes to keeping you warm in the winter, there aren’t many fuels that can keep up with propane. But what does propane think of the cold?
In general, propane deals well with dropping temperatures, but it does have some problems with extreme cold. Here’s why: When propane is stored in your tank, it’s a liquid under high pressure; it must vaporize and expand to be used as a fuel. But as temperatures drop, so does pressure inside the tank – to the point where eventually pressure may be too low to effectively power your larger propane heating equipment.
When we say extreme cold, we mean it: propane turns to a liquid at -44 degrees F. Still, some precautions should be taken if you own a propane-powered home in a cold climate.
To avoid pressure problems during cold weather extremes:
- Order propane when your tank is no less than one-quarter full to keep the positive pressure inside the tank (and prevent runouts).
- Clear snow away from your tank quickly
- Keep the regulator free of snow and ice; NEVER pour water on it.
- Turn down the thermostat in your home – Decreasing the temperature in your house will lessen the time your system/appliance operates, permitting the pressure in the tank to build.
- NEVER use an open flame or electrical device near a propane tank for any reason.
- NEVER attempt to heat your propane tank to solve a pressure problem.
Some other extreme weather propane tips:
- Clear snow and ice from propane tank regulators, vents, piping and valves to prevent damage that could cause a gas leak.
- Remove snow and ice from appliance vents, flues and chimneys to allow the gas to vent properly.
- Place a flag, pole, or stake next to your tank that is tall enough to be seen over the expected snowfall and drifts; this will help you find the tank in heavy snow.
- Turn off the main gas supply if an appliance fails to light or if a gas leak is detected.
Winter is coming – do you have enough propane to keep your family safe, warm, and comfortable? Fill up today with the pros at Bottini.
Important update about our service during the Coronavirus outbreak. Click here