Proposed NY carbon tax could cost your family $21,000 over 10 years. Help fight it. Click here
Save Money With These Late Winter Energy Efficiency Tips
We’re coming down the homestretch on winter 2020, but we’ll still be using our heating systems for a while – and getting the heating bills that come with that use.
If you’re looking for simple, inexpensive ways to shave some dollars off your energy bills this winter and early spring, here are some of the best ways to do it.
Energy Bill Savings Tips
- Seal air leaks – Investing as little as $50 in simple door brushes, caulk and weather stripping can help you fight back against those money-wasting leaks. Start with exterior doors and windows, then work your way to barriers between conditioned and unconditioned rooms (your basement and garage, for example).
- Program your thermostat – Why pay to heat the house when there’s no one home – or when you’re asleep? Today’s programmable thermostats are smarter and simpler than ever – and with the energy they save they could pay for themselves in as little as one year.
- Drop your water heater thermostat temperature – Most water heater manufacturers use a default water temperature setting of about 140 degrees – more heat than most people need for a good hot shower or load of wash or dishes.* Drop the maximum temperature by 20 degrees and you’ll shave 10-15 percent off your water heating bill with no loss of comfort.
- Use ceiling fans – Heated air rises towards the ceiling, where it’s not doing you any good. Set your ceiling fan to a clockwise rotation to push warm air down where it will keep you warm (most fans do this with the flick of a switch – see your owner’s manual for instructions).
- Run appliances at full capacity – Why run your energy-sucking appliances half full? If you’re going to run the equipment, completely use the unit’s capacity.
- Use solar heat – Open curtains during the day to let the sun warm your room, then close them at night to keep warm air in.
- Maintain your heating equipment – All home comfort equipment loses its efficiency over time – especially if you skip annual maintenance. Keep your furnace or boiler running at peak condition with professional heating maintenance in the Hudson Valley from Bottini.
Looking for other ways to save money on home heating? Bottini Fuels can help! Contact us today to learn more about heating system service in the Hudson Valley, plus home heating oil deliveries,
Important update about our service during the Coronavirus outbreak. Click here