Proposed NY carbon tax could cost your family $21,000 over 10 years. Help fight it. Click here
Five Cost-Effective Energy Efficiency Investments for Your Home
If you live in a typical American home, you probably spend more than you have to on energy bills – sometimes significantly more – due to inefficiencies that can be greatly reduced with a little planning and investment.
Here are five of the most cost-effective ways to improve your home’s heating efficiency:
- Weatherize – About twenty percent of warmed air in your home escapes through air leaks around doors and windows, along with often overlooked cavities such as electrical outlets and lighting fixtures. Making your home more airtight with inexpensive weather sealing and caulk could save you hundreds of dollars in energy bills over the course of a year.
- Add insulation – Most homeowners under-apply insulation, especially in attics and basements. Adding 8-10 inches of affordable, easy-to-install insulation can cut your annual heating (and cooling) costs by up to 10-15 percent or more.
- Maintain your heating equipment – Home heating equipment will only run at its best if you service it regularly. A tune-up is an annual must – they’re included in our annual service plans.
- Install a programmable or smart thermostat – Smarter use of your heating system can save you money, too. And it’s never been easier to manage climate in your home: today’s programmable and smart thermostats are easy to use and will often save enough energy to pay for themselves within a year.
- Upgrade your heating system – If your home furnace, boiler, or heat pump is more than 10-12 years old, you might be ready for an upgrade. Replacing it with one of today’s high-efficiency models can have a dramatic effect on your bills, saving you 20 percent or more compared to your older system.
Contact Bottini Fuel today to learn how else you can save money throughout the year –including getting FREE estimates on equipment upgrades!
Important update about our service during the Coronavirus outbreak. Click here