Proposed NY carbon tax could cost your family $21,000 over 10 years. Help fight it. Click here
How do I prepare my heating system for fall?
We’re into mid-September here in the Hudson Valley, and despite a late-summer surge, fall is on our doorstep. Before you know it, you’ll be relying on your propane- or oil-fired heating equipment day and night for warmth and comfort.
As we bid farewell to summer 2019, there’s still time to get a jump on some tasks that could get your heating season started on the right foot. Here are six things you can do in the coming weeks to take some of the load off your furnace or boiler – and your wallet:
- Get to know your thermostat. Beyond making sure your thermostat actually works (or installing a new one if it doesn’t), now is a great time to learn how to program your thermostat if you don’t know how to already. It will be well worth your time, considering that proper use of a programmable thermostat can save 10 percent or more on your heating bill.
- Add insulation. Insulation is one of the most cost-effective ways to lower your heating (and cooling) bills, but most Northern NJ homes (especially older ones) just don’t have enough of it installed to meet recommended R-values for our region. Try adding insulation in areas where air leaks are most likely to occur, such as the attic and crawl space; for further tips on where and how much to insulate, check out this energy.gov post.
- Fix air leaks. In winter, air leaks let the cold air in and release the air you paid to warm into the neighborhood. The remaining few warm weekends are a good time to get out and check around your doors and windows to make sure they’re draft-free, and to install caulk or weatherstripping around the areas where you can feel drafts. Don’t forget your roof, either – leaks there could result in drafts, or even a mold problem. For more tips on air sealing, check out this post.
- Schedule heating maintenance. Routine annual service is a must for your furnace, boiler and burner…make sure to schedule your tune-up before we get too late in the season! Better yet, sign up for a Bottini Heating Service Plan and get a tune-up plus 24/7 priority service, repair discounts, and more.
- Replace your heating system. If you’re planning a heating system upgrade, get a FREE, no-obligation estimate now so you’ll have some time to schedule a heating system installation before the cold weather arrives in earnest. If you have a problem with your heating equipment and can’t decide whether to repair or replace it, give us a call – we’ll talk you through your options so you can make a decision that’s right for you.
For expert, affordable preventive heating Service Plans for your propane and heating oil-fired equipment – plus quality propane and heating oil system installations and the most reliable heating oil and propane delivery in the Hudson Valley – nobody beats Bottini Fuel. Contact us today to learn more and experience the Bottini Difference for yourself.
Important update about our service during the Coronavirus outbreak. Click here