Welcome Wilson Oil and Propane customers! Read more...
> How Do I Extend The Life Of My Oil Furnace?
How Do I Extend The Life Of My Oil Furnace?
An oil furnace is a significant investment for you as a homeowner, and with care it could last 15 years or more – at least in theory. But in the real world, the lifespan of your equipment depends greatly on the steps you take to keep it in working order.
Oil Furnace Care Tips
If you want your heating oil furnace to last as long as possible, follow these guidelines.
- Start on the right foot. Two decisions you make early on will have a big impact on the lifespan of your furnace: the model you choose, and who installs it. Always opt for reputable brands when you’re furnace shopping, and always have your equipment sized and installed by heating professionals.
- Maintain your equipment every year. Nothing is more important to the longevity of your equipment than getting regular preventative maintenance for your heating equipment. With routine care, your equipment will last longer, work better, run more reliably, and help you spot small issues before they turn into costly repairs.
- Replace your furnace air filter regularly. Overwork is the enemy of longevity – and that’s exactly what happens when your furnace blower is trying to push warm air through a blocked air filter. Chronic overwork will rob your system of years of service in the long run – and increase the cost to maintain your system along the way.
- Don’t forget your ductwork. A typical heating system loses between 10 and 15 percent of its warm air via ductwork leaks, and your furnace and blower will have to run longer and harder to make up for the loss. Consider having your ductwork professionally tested and sealed every five years or so.
- Seal any furnace leaks. When an air leak forms along the heating line, your furnace loses air before it even completes the process of heat production, leading to…you guessed it…overwork and a shorter life for your equipment.
- Use your programmable thermostat. Why make your furnace log hours heating an empty house, or providing more heat than you need to stay comfortable? With a little help from your programmable thermostat, you could save unnecessary wear and tear on your furnace, extending the life of your equipment.
- Attend to repairs quickly. Delaying a heating system repair will eventually lead to a heating system breakdown, and more breakdowns lead to a shorter life for your equipment. The moment you sense something is wrong with your furnace – strange sounds or smells, for example – have it looked at by a professional.
Keep your oil-fired furnace running as long as possible with expert heating system service from Bottini Fuel. If your furnace is on its last legs, we can help you there, too, with fast installations of a range of quality oil-fired furnace models. Contact us today to learn more about professional heating service in the Hudson Valley.
Important update about our service during the Coronavirus outbreak. Click here