Preparation & Safety Tips for Winter Storms
Winter is officially here – and with that change in season comes an increasing likelihood that a good old-fashioned Nor’easter will cause some trouble for us here in the Hudson Valley and Northeastern PA.
Be sure you’re prepared for whatever Mother Nature throws at us by following these five steps:
- Keep an eye on your fuel gauge – If severe weather is forecast and you are low on fuel, call us ASAP for a heating oil delivery or propane delivery. Make sure you have enough fuel to last at least a week in case poor road conditions delay deliveries. Try to call when your tank is no less than one-quarter full.
- Be conservative with fuel – If your tank is nearing the one-quarter mark and you are too late for a fuel delivery, be sure to stretch out your fuel supply by setting your programmable thermostat as low as is comfortable for your family and turning the heat down when no one is home.
- Help our drivers deliver your fuel – Shovel a path to your fill pipe or propane tank, and clear your driveway if that’s where our trucks need to be to deliver your oil or gas. While you’re at it, clear your chimneys, flues, and outdoor vents to keep your house well ventilated and protect against carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
- Remember what to do if you have a propane gas leak – If you power your home with propane, remind everyone in the house about what to do if you detect a propane gas leak in the house.
- Never use outdoor equipment to heat your home – Never use your outdoor gas grill, portable generator, or other propane heating appliances inside the house; using them without proper ventilation could cause deadly CO poisoning.
Be prepared for any winter weather with reliable propane and heating oil deliveries from Bottini. Contact us to become a Bottini customer today, or use our convenient online customer portal to schedule your delivery!