Proposed NY carbon tax could cost your family $21,000 over 10 years. Help fight it. Click here
Propane flood safety
Severe weather here in the Hudson Valley – especially in the late winter and early spring – can lead to dangerous flooding that can damage your home and affect your propane systems. But with a little preparation, you can avoid many of the dangers that flooding can bring.
Here are some guidelines to safely prepare for and respond to floods.
Before a flood
If you live in a low-lying or flood prone area, take the following precautions if your property is at risk:
- If you have an aboveground propane tank, do not install it at the lowest point of your property, or in an area prone to high water.
- Use anchor cables to secure aboveground tanks to a solid foundation such as a concrete pad or blocks.
- Always protect the regulator vent.
- Fill your propane tank when severe weather is forecast.
- Keep a picture of your propane tank manufacturer’s nameplate in case the propane tank is loosened from its moorings during the flood.
- If you need to close the propane tank service valve, turn it clockwise; just remember that any disruption in propane service requires a pressure-test by licensed propane professionals before propane appliances can be used again.
After a flood
If it is safe to do so on your property,
- Look for visible structural damage to your propane equipment and tank.
- Do not relight pilot lights for equipment; instead, shut off the service valve at the propane tank and contact us immediately.
- Damage to propane regulators and controls is a significant problem when flooding occurs; pay particular attention to this area of your propane tank.
- Water damage to propane equipment and appliances is not always easy to detect; for this reason, we recommend a complete inspection for your entire propane system if it is affected by flood.
For more information on flood safety and preparedness, see this Ready.gov link.
Stay safe in any weather with expert propane inspections and propane system service from the pros at Bottini. Contact us today to learn more.
Important update about our service during the Coronavirus outbreak. Click here