If you have a home that is powered by propane gas, a keen nose and an ability to think quickly on your feet can be vital assets when it comes to keeping your family safe.
Your nose matters because there’s a distinctive rotten egg smell to propane – something all producers add to naturally odorless propane gas to make leaks easy to detect. When that telltale smell appears in your Hudson Valley home, don’t panic – but do act quickly, using these propane safety guidelines:
Avoid touching any equipment that could cause a spark (lights or light switches, appliances, telephones, cell phones, etc.); a spark can cause an explosion.
Get everyone (including pets) out of your house immediately and call 911 from a safe distance away.
If it is safe to do so, turn off the propane gas at the tank; if you don’t know how to do this, ask us – it’s important information to know.
When inspection teams say it is safe to return to your home, do so – but do not use your propane equipment again until it is inspected by a professional.
Remember: if your propane system is turned off for any reason – including a leak – the law requires you to have it inspected and pressure-tested before it can be turned on again.
In some states – particularly in newly built homes – propane and carbon monoxide detectors are required for your home. We STRONGLY suggest installing both of these invaluable and inexpensive fail-safes in your home whether or not it is required. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for operating and placing each device.