Proposed NY carbon tax could cost your family $21,000 over 10 years. Help fight it. Click here
Home Efficiency: A Springtime Checklist For You
Finding yourself with some newfound time as we work our way through Alone Together April? Why not give yourself some home projects to tackle.
Here’s a checklist to help you get a handle on what needs to be done to keep your Hudson Valley home comfortable and running efficiently in the coming weeks.
Thermostat set for savings
- If you’re using your heating system, set your thermostat at 68 degrees when people are home for the best balance of comfort and energy savings; lower the temperature when no one is home, or when people are sleeping to maximize savings. Once cooling season arrives, target a thermostat setting of 78 degrees, raising temperatures when people are home.
- Close vents in unused rooms to reduce energy use
- Clear obstructions from vents to keep air moving
- Check your HVAC filter once a month, changing or cleaning it as necessary
- Keep doors closed between conditioned and unconditioned spaces; check and replace seals around interior doors to keep conditioned air from escaping
- Check door sweeps to make sure they are blocking drafts and keeping conditioned air inside your home. If you don’t have doorsweeps, consider installing them
- Check caulking on window frames to prevent conditioned air from escaping
- Clear window tracks so windows seal properly
Energy Efficient Window Treatments
- If you have a whole house generator, have it professionally serviced; if you can’t, at least test run it to be sure everything is in working order
- Make sure you have enough propane to last at least one week in the event of a springtime power outage (if you don’t, schedule a propane delivery)
Water Heater Efficiency
Maintained Heating system
Maintained Cooling system
- Clear fall and winter debris from your outdoor condenser unit
- Test run your cooling system to check for any obvious problems
- Schedule professional cooling system service, if you haven’t already since the end of last summer
Attic Insulation R-value
- Test all alarms – smoke, CO, radon detectors, etc., replacing batteries if needed
Efficiency and safety of Fireplace or Wood Stove
- Close the damper to prevent heat from entering through the chimney
- Schedule a chimney inspection to prevent hazards related to creosote buildup
Need heating or cooling system service in the Hudson Valley? We can help. Contact us today to schedule a service appointment and get your equipment back on top of its game.
Please note: At Bottini Fuel, your safety and comfort are always our priority. Please see our Covid-19 Service Update Page to learn more about how we are working to keep your family and our crews safe and your home comfort equipment working properly during this challenging time.
Important update about our service during the Coronavirus outbreak. Click here