Proposed NY carbon tax could cost your family $21,000 over 10 years. Help fight it. Click here
Why is my air conditioner not working?
Summer 2019 is really putting your home cooling system through its paces here in the Hudson Valley…and one day, you might find that your home A/C system won’t answer the bell for another round.
If your central air conditioner isn’t working – or doesn’t work the way it should – don’t worry – our expert A/C technicians are here to help. But before you contact us for professional air conditioning service, it pays to do a little troubleshooting first: sometimes you can handle the problem yourself without paying for a service call.
Here are a few things to check:
If your AC system doesn’t start at all:
- Ensure that your thermostat is:
Make sure your circuit breakers haven’t been tripped.
- Set for “air conditioning,” “cool,” or “fan” ; and
- Set for at least 5 degrees cooler than your current room temperature.
Make sure all power switches that affect the air conditioner are turned on.
- A circuit breaker shuts off (“trips”) to prevent circuit overload, which can cause a fire. Reset the breaker and try the system again.
- Find any switches inside and outside your home that might affect your A/C’s operation; make sure they’re in the “on” position.
If these three measures don’t work, contact Bottini for service.
If your AC system turns on but doesn’t blow cool air:
- Make sure your thermostat is properly set (see #1 above)
- Make sure your vents aren’t blocked by furniture, curtains, etc.
- Check your outdoor unit (the condenser) to see if the fan is running. If it isn’t:
Check the indoor unit.
- Check for a power switch (see #3 above).
- Check circuit breakers (see #2 above).
- Check for debris inside the condenser (WARNING: TURN OFF THE POWER FIRST!).
- Make sure all power switches are on (see #3 above)
- Check your air filters; if they’re clogged, clean or replace them according to manufacturer’s instructions, then try the air conditioner again.
If none of these measures work, contact Bottini for service.
If your A/C doesn’t work, Bottini has you covered! Our A/C pros will be ready with a truck full of parts ready to take on any cooling system. And if it’s time to replace your A/C with a new, high-efficiency unit, we’ve got you covered there, too!
Important update about our service during the Coronavirus outbreak. Click here